Sunday 24 June 2012

Manyeruke sees red over album release

Baba Mechanic Manyeruke
The granddad of gospel music, Baba Machanic Manyeruke, is a bitter man after embattled record company Gramma Records released his latest album, “Musandidaro”, onto the market without his consent.

Manyeruke is accusing the recording company of releasing the album to Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) without a legally binding agreement. “The company was supposed to hold the material in trust as we were supposed to agree the terms first, but to my surprise, the material was on the Sunday Edition news bulletin without my consent,” he fumed.

He approached ZBC for clarification over the issue, only to be told that Tymon Mabaleka had brought it for publicity. Mabaleka is the general manager at Gramma. Manyeruke also claims that his South African-based grandson, Albert Chikamba, also saw the album on the streets there. When contacted for comment, Gramma’s managing director, Emmanuel Vori, expressed ignorance over the matter.

Artist and repertoire manager of the recording company Stanley Ruziwa said: “All I know is that Manyeruke brought his album here for marketing, but I have no idea who it was handed to. The album was not recorded here but it was only bought for marketing.” A fact which was instantly disputed by Manyeruke, who said that only his other album, “Muchandiziva Here”, was produced elsewhere.

Manyeruke is also bitter over the way Gramma is operating, as he believes his music was selling well yet he got little money from the sales. “The reason why I had gone silent for three years in the music industry is because I felt I was being oppressed in the industry. I am not making any money from royalties or from the sales of my album. The cars you see me driving are from my children.”

However, he believes things used to be well when Julian Howards was still in control of the company. “Back then my work used to be accounted for when Gramma was still owned by Howards, all the sales of my music and royalties was accounted for. What amazes me most is that

if I go to ask for my albums in stock, Vori tells me they are out, meaning they are being sold. But I don’t get to receive any money. “My fans always ask for my music, even from way back, but as a recording company they should have a library where they keep all this, but they do not have. I strongly feel “they are giving new artistes extensive exposure but they seem not to appreciate all the works I have been doing for them for the past years.” Sundaymail

No comments:

Post a Comment