Sunday 9 October 2011

I am in constant Pain - Tongai Moyo

TOP-SELLING sungura musician Tongai Moyo says he is in constant pain but fears being addicted to pain killers. He is hoping the new drug, Rituxmab will give him respite.“The doctor said I have many tumors in my chest and stomach with the biggest one being about 10cm long. The other one is 9cm. With Rituxmab, I hope to improve, but then the problem is that someone has advised me to go to India where the drug is manufactured so that I can get follow-up medication.”
Read more after the cut.......
He also added that his whole body was in pain but was quick to say that he will not go down easily. He has had to be on a dialysis machine this past week. “I have been experiencing excruciating pain in my body since August when I skipped medication. I cough throughout the night, my feet are swollen, I have a sore throat and my kidneys are something else. I also have wounds on my sides. But I will not go for painkillers, I am afraid of an addiction. I would rather pray,” said the singer who was recently treated for a brain tumor.

Dhewa added that he hoped with this new drug he would get better. The musician, who has been fighting non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a form of cancer, since 2006, has been hospitalised for over a week now after battling health complications. He suffered renal failure last week on Thursday, September 29, a day before the epic Zim’s Finest gig, where he was billed to perform. His son Peter stood in for him.

Medical examinations later proved that his kidneys had been damaged by tumors that are in his chest and in his abdomen. “I have been advised by someone who had my condition that it will be good for me to go to India where the drug is manufactured for other medicines that I may need.

“The other drug that I was on since January this year has been causing a lot of pain for me because my cancer was now resistant to it and I started to have side-effects. I had actually lost hope in the chemotherapy.” Dhewa said he would, however, never turn to earthly powers for healing as he was a Christian and, above all, had worked in a hospital.

“I have worked at a hospital and have seen people who waste their time seeking healing from traditional healers only to come to the hospital when the cancer is too advanced and difficult to treat. I will keep my faith in prayer and the medical system.” He said that he did not want to alarm the nation last week because he did not want to dampen the hype that had been raised on Zim’s Finest gig.

“I fell sick on Thursday (September 29), but I could not tell it to everyone because it would kill the spirit of the gig. I was hurt and I missed my fans. We had played the previous weekend, but this was the main stage of the year and I just had to be there.” Dhewa said it was the grand stage where those who matter in showbiz were supposed to showcase their talents but, unfortunately, he could not make it to the stage.

“My health deteriorated badly and I made communications with my manager, my promoter and the show organisers and we agreed Peter would lead the band for the task, and I am glad he did not disappoint.” Meanwhile, the documentary on Dhewa’s battle with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, The Show Goes On, is almost complete.

Independent producer/director of the documentary, Abel Dzobo, said that they were now editing the 30-minute documentary and it will be out in the next month. “We are now at the editing phase and we are launching the documentary any time soon. The Show Goes On is a celebration of the courage and determination that Dhewa has shown in his six-year battle with cancer, one of the world’s deadliest medical conditions. He comes from hospital and walks to the stage, where he delivers a superb performance.

“It’s a tale of a deadly disease on the one hand and on the other the musician, his music, his stage and his fans. It explores how music heals Dhewa, and other musicians and promoters come in to offer words of encouragement.” Dzobo said that the documentary could inspire other cancer patients and people facing life-threatening situations as depicted by the tagline “When we let our light shine, we unconsciously let others do the same”.

Musicians interviewed in the documentary are UN Goodwill Ambassador Oliver Mtukudzi, gospel guru Charles Charamba, jazz sensation Victor Kunonga, gospel diva Fungisai Zvakavapano-Mashavave, Somandla Ndebele, musician-cum-comedian Freddy “Kapfupi” Manjalima and First Farai, a sungura musician who is inspired by Tongai Moyo.

Music promoters are Partson Chimbodza (Chipaz Promotions) and Biggie Chinoperekwei (proprietor, City Sports bar) Joseph Munyebvu (Joe Promotions). Dzobo said the project, which he shot using his own resources, would now be completed after the Culture Fund availed funds to finish the editing process.

“We had been working on a tight budget and are very grateful to the Culture Fund who have chipped in with funds for us to finish editing the project. It’s a big project, one of its own kind, and the cancer and artiste connection gives it universal appeal. So we will be marketing Dhewa’s inspirational story to a global audience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment