Thursday 17 November 2011

Disappointed Mr Vegas vows to donate his Zimbabwe fees to charity

Jamaican reggae artist Mr Vegas has vowed to donate all the money he got from the country to charity. The Heads High singer who was in the country recently was clearly disappointed by the way the media handled his performance. Some sections of the media reported that people started going out while he was still performing and that people did not get their money’s worth.
In response to this, Mr Vegas twitted and said that he would give the money to charity but did not specify which one. “If Zimbabwe are disappointed because I did 2 hrs & played 6 reggae songs in my set, I beg forgiveness & I will give my fee to charity;” he said in a tweet dated November 9. Three days later (November 12) he seemed adamant and insisted on what he had said earlier, tweeting again: “So if I gave my all & u think I did not do my best, maybe I’m worthy of your hard earn $ ...So, I will give my Zimbabwe fee to charity.”

Vegas seemed deeply touched by what was reported in the local media as he later on in the day tweeted again: “I put 100 percent in my job every single time; I ignore my pericarditis pain almost every time I hit the stage & put a smile on my face...” He got the impression that the people in Zimbabwe did not appreciate all his efforts as compared to the other shows he has done before and the one he did after Zimbabwe.

“I did the same show in Guadeloupe last night that I did in Zimbabwe & there is no negative feedback...we had people crying for more.” Guadeloupe is located in Caribbean, islands between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, southeast of Puerto Rico. In an interview with a Jamaican newspaper, Jamaica-gleaner, the 37-year-old singer said he put all his effort in the show.

“It wasn’t the best, but it was a good show. However, it seems that in some places, it’s like you’re performing in Jamaica. I was a bit disappointed that some of these younger youths who came out were more into two hours of straight dancehall, high-energy, non-stop music.” He explained that he was a reggae artist, not a dancehall one, indicating that maybe that was where the mix-up came from.

“My show is mixed with reggae, tributes to the likes of Bob Marley, my sweet Jamaica song, a concert with a reggae feel,” he said. He added that the Harare crowd probably turned up expecting the Jamaican dancehall that they watch on YouTube. “We thought a song like Bob Marley’s Zimbabwe would have come off well, but some people were complaining about us doing reggae and they came to see a dancehall show. I was disappointed. I view myself as a reggae artiste, not dancehall,” he explained. (DailyNews)

No comments:

Post a Comment