Thursday 17 November 2011

Future of Utakataka in his hands

Peter Moyo
When Peter Moyo took up classes at a music school in South Africa two years ago, his goal was to complement his father and build an empire in the music sector. Little did he know that he was soon to abandon all his aspirations and instead take over his late father's band before he had even launched his career.

"I had planned to complement my father by forming my own band, so that we could raise the bar for the Moyo family through music. "As you already know, that dream came to naught. But I am not complaining, that is now water under the bridge, because now I have a huge task ahead of me. "I now have to take care of the family, the band and other interests that my dad left behind," he said during an interview on Tuesday, exactly a month after the death of his father.
At 22, while many of his peers are probably still going through university college or just chilling around in the hood, relying on their parents to put food on the table, for Peter, the story is totally different. At that age, more than 35 people now look up to him for their daily upkeep and sustenance, leaving him with little or no time to prattle and hang around the hood. He now has to take care of the welfare of the 18-member Utakataka band, that of his siblings, Gogo Chihera and several other people who were under Tongai's care. 
"If I look at my situation, I think everything was predetermined and all I am doing is to play my part."
Peter admitted that although managing the band and taking care of the huge family was quite challenging and probably a big role for a lad of his age, it appears that his father had prepared him to take over from him.

"I know my father on several occasions was quoted in the media as saying he didn't want me to join him in the entertainment sector. "But he finally gave in when he realised that his condition was not getting any better, and that's why I ended up enrolling at a school of music in South Africa. "I never pictured it that way, of course, but I guess my dad had it all planned," said the diminutive and affable young man, who is now the leader of Utakataka Express.

Peter spent a year in South Africa studying music, and he had to immediately return home on realising that he needed to be with the family and assist his father. "When I was in high school, my father instilled in me a sense of responsibility, such that I was able to do errands for whole family, while my dad was on tour with the band." "I can tell you running the family and the band, is a huge task, but I am prepared for it."

There is now doubt that Peter seems to have embraced the Utakataka ship and has actually been steering off turbulent waters, judging by the group's live performances in the past three weeks. The group put up a stellar performance at their inaugural show after Dhewa's death in Gweru on November 5. Hundreds of fans of the late musician who attended the show, were in for a surprise when the young lad delivered a resounding show.

And his act at Sports Diner International received rave reviews from all the local media houses that attended last Friday's show. His graceful knack for rhythm, melody and swag on stage transformed the young man's well attended show to a massive gig. However, despite his quick rise to fame, Peter is already mired in controversy following reports that he was dating a promoter's daughter, Mercy Gumbo, who is believed to a longtime girlfriend of a well-known sungura musician. He, however, played down the allegations, saying she was just a friend.

"She is not my girlfriend, we are just friends. I have a girlfriend, Melissa Marimo, who is well known by my family," he said. "In fact, my dad also faced the similar problem with her (Mercy), after he was alleged to be going out with her. Pakatoita nyaya, a few weeks before he passed away," he said. (Herald)

No comments:

Post a Comment