Friday 2 December 2011

I stand by what I said - Dudu Manhenga


He can afford my music. Dudu Manhenga & Peter Ndlovu
Dudu Manhenga who has been roundly attacked for saying her music was not for poor people has stood firm insisting that what she was saying was that from a purely commercial view point poor people cannot afford her music. She said that while poor people wanted to have cheese it was out of their reach. So was her music.

“Well, my brother art is a business and not charity. Does Meikles Hotel have to lower down their prices on the basis that a certain group of people are confined into a certain salary bracket? Does Tel-One have to lower their charges because some people cannot afford to use their service, no they can’t because, like me, they are in a business,” she said.
“I am not perturbed by what some people might say, I stand by my point, this is business, you should consider that money was invested in the production of my music,” said Dudu. She however said she has done a lot of charity work from the proceeds of her music but this was separate from the business of music which sustained her. “I have done a lot of charity work and I have no need to announce that because it’s something that comes from within,” said Dudu.

She had earlier said :“A lot goes on in the making of an album. The rehearsal fees, transport, equipment and paying the band members as well as composing the songs. It takes a lot and we are not being rewarded. We cannot pay for our bills with whistles and ululations that we receive when performing. “Do the poor people in Zimbabwe eat cheese?” “They do not eat it although it adds protein to the body because they do not have money. So I should not cry for my music to be bought by poor people at Mbare.” (Newsdzezimbabwe)

No comments:

Post a Comment