Sunday 5 February 2012

I am tired of dancing on an empty stomach - Shiga Shiga

Utakataka Express chanter Shiga shiga far right
Shiga Shiga, real name Gift Katulika, has left Peter Moyo’s Utakata saying he was tired of dancing Zora Butter on an empty stomach. “I can’t continue to do the Zora Butter dance on stage while my children do not have that same butter to put on their bread. Sometimes they even have to do without the bread. “I have three children, all of school-going age, and I believe this is the time for me to improve myself and in the process better the lives of my family. This is common sense,” said Shiga Shiga in emphasising his decision for leaving Utakataka.

He continued: “We took the band out of the troubled waters, showed Peter the way and it is time he becomes his own man.” Shiga Shiga has joined Energy Mutodi’s Real Sounds. What baffles the mind, however, Shiga Shiga is still carrying out managerial duties at Utakataka Express . Shiga said there were problems with money at Utakataka. "Peter has always suspected me of not being transparent regarding the band's finances. Each time I organise a show I have been accused of pilfering money, but that is not the case. 
Recently when we went to Beitbridge, someone called Peter telling him that the show promoter had bought me a car instead of paying the band, but the allegations later proved to be unfounded,” said Shiga Shiga.
But Peter said : “My problems with Shiga Shiga have been mainly lack of communication, that is why I am letting him finish his work with us when under different circumstances I could have told him to stay as far away as possible from the band.”

Said Peter: “I think Shiga Shiga likes his job because when we had problems in Zvishavane he still used his own petrol to follow us to Beitbridge for a show in the border town. “If he didn't have the interests of the band at heart he would have simply returned home since it would have been safer.” The Utakataka new boss was quick to add that he had already found replacements for both Spencer and Shiga Shiga, who had already started rehearsing with the band.

“We have been rehearsing with the new chanter and I can confirm that he is more than ready to roll. He will come on as a replacement for Shiga Shiga on stage and if a deal is reached, Pliers will replace him as the manager. As for the bass guitar, we are not worried since we already have Savious Karikodzi who got a nod from my father during their working days. “However, as is the case in every band, we are going to look for a reserve bassist because the instrument is strenuous,” said Peter.

The young Igwe expressed confidence that Pliers would join Utakataka again as he had almost single-handedly kept the band intact when Tongai was still battling with accepting his ailment. "He worked with the band for four years and I know he is a good manager. He is a perfect man for moments like these and I have no doubt Utakataka will only get better under his leadership," said Peter.

Pliers also confirmed that he had been approached by Peter regarding taking over the reins in managing Utakataka. "As you know, I am with another band at the moment, but I have a history with Utakataka. It was only natural for Peter to come to me with such an offer because he knows my capabilities as a manager.
"We have not concluded anything yet, but I am quite sure we will both release a joint statement if the deal comes to fruition," said Pliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment