Thursday 2 February 2012

Plaxedes Wenyika to release new single

Songbird Plaxedes Wenyika has made a huge splash on the mainstream music scene with her new single titled "Huya Ndikutaridze". The song, taken off her upcoming fifth studio album "Brighter Day", is a departure from her previous recordings as it is a fusion of traditional, afro-jazz and soul music. The album is due for release this month.

Already the love song is receiving heavy rotation on most radio stations in Zimbabwe where it appears on every DJ's playlist. However, what has not changed on the new release is the soul and ballad type of music that's synonymous with Plaxedes. According to Plaxedes, the forthcoming album is dedicated to her fans.


"This single marks the return of Plaxedes. I am back in music for good now. "Perhaps, I have been quiet for all this time due to work commitments and school. I'm happy to announce that I completed my Masters Degree in Business Administration and now I have all the time to focus on my passion which is music," she said with a chuckle.

Asked why she had gone silent for the past three years, Plaxedes said: "Work commitments have been keeping me busy. However, I have since quit my job and I hope to become a full-time musician," she said. She described her type of music as "contemporary" since it draws a lot of from jazz, R&B, afro-pop and traditional music.

"Often people think my music is urban grooves and yet it has never really fitted in that genre. I am more into soul and ballad while here and there I mix it with a bit of jazz and traditional rhythms," she explained "I am still into the love grooves but the old Plaxedes people know has changed. They can expect a different, new Plaxedes. Back then I hadn't started singing. I have now," she said.

On the new album Plaxedes worked with a number of the artistes outside her own stable called La Cede International, which she says will not only be concentrating on the music but also clothing and toiletries. Featured on the album are David Sengwayo, vocalists Rumbidzai Sengwayo and Petronella Gobvu as well as Tino Dambaneunga among others. "I have worked with a number of artistes on the album to create a variety of sounds to ensure that the music goes beyond Zimbabwe's borders," she said.

"Some of the videos for the new album will be shot in South Africa. I want to deliver the best quality in music so I chose some of the best producers," she said. Plaxedes, who was once a member of the famed Ruvhuvhuto Sisters together with the late Jackie Madondo and Ivy Kombo-Kasi, has four other albums to her credit. Her debut "Tisaparadzane" put her in the spotlight followed by "Kamumhanzi", "Sentiments" and "Full Circle", which did well on the charts. (Herald)

No comments:

Post a Comment