Friday 23 March 2012

Guitarist Dumps Sulu, returns to Macheso

Alick Macheso
BARELY three months after leaving Alick Macheso’s Orchestra Mberikwazvo, prolific lead guitarist Noel Nyazanda has left Suluman Chimbetu to rejoin Macheso. Nyazanda, Elton Muropa and Franco “Slomo” Dhaka ditched Macheso to join Suluman in January in a move that caused friction between the two artistes.

Ironically, Nyazanda will be going back to the same group that he accused of failing to take care of artistes’ welfare. In an interview yesterday, Nyazanda said there was nothing unsual about his exit from Orchestra Dendera Kings, saying his heart was still with Orchestra Mberikwazvo.

“Handina kumbotadzirwa (Nothing bad precipitated the move). I just decided I had to go back to where I belong.“Orchestra Mberikwazvo is where I belong and it is my home,” Nyazanda said. He added that he talked to Sulu over the matter and they reached an agreement.

“I talked to Sulu and everything was done in an amicable way. I then talked to William Tsandukwa (Macheso’s manager) and we both agreed that we should work together,” he said.
However, Nyazanda said he was not sure when he would hold his first show following his return to the group.

“I am yet to know when I will have my first show with the group. I also don’t know where I will be placed in the group but since I have been working with them for a long time, I understand it won’t take long for me to gel with the rest of them.

“I understand that one guitarist called Divine filled in my place but that is not a problem because we always work as a team,” Nyazanda said. At Suluman’s band, Nyazanda played the lead guitar although he alternated with others, a situation that could have precipitated his move.

He was also faced with the challenge of having to learn dendera songs, while at Orchestra Mberikwazvo he had mastered the sungura genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment