Friday 16 March 2012

Music Promoters Honour Sam Mtukudzi's Memory (b. April 1, 1988 – March 15, 2010)

Late Sam Mtukudzi
Music promoters that worked with the late Sam Mtukudzi (Oliver Mtukudzi’s son) have honoured the young man who had a promising career abruptly cut when he died in a car crash on March 15 2010. Today marks two years after Sam’s death and Jazz 105 Promotions, Chipaz Promotions and Mash Trading put a joint statement in the press to honour the musician.
“In memory of Sam Mtukudzi…two years today since you have been promoted to glory…we will always miss you,” read the statement. In separate interviews the promoters chronicled how they worked with Sam and expressed their deep sense of loss.

Josh Hozheri of Jazz 105 said: “Sam was a promising young man. He played at Jazz 105 on several occasions. He was part of our Winter Jazz Festival since the days he was playing with Prince Edward Jazz Band until he became his own man as he implied on his first album “Rume Rimwe”.

“He was down to earth and one of the few youngsters that carried the future of jazz music in Zimbabwe. Every time we have our winter festival my heart grieves because I would have wanted to see Sam growing into a big name in music.” Patson Chimbodza of Chipaz Promotions said Sam’s talent was unmatched and the gap he left cannot be filled.

“I vividly remember how Sam took part at a soccer match between musicians and soccer legends about a month before his death. I organise these matches and every time I see a picture of Sam wearing a soccer jazz branded “Chipaz Promotions” my heart bleeds,” said Chimbodza.

“Sometimes I wonder if that was his way of saying goodbye to me. We had not done many shows together but I had serious plans for the youngster.” Mash Trading director Taka Mashonganyika who is Oliver Mtukudzi’s close friend said he saw Sam as his son.

“Besides being one of the musicians I closely worked with, Sam was like my son. I am close to his father and we spent social time on a number of occasions. I hosted a number of shows featuring Sam and his father. Very few of his age had such talent,” said Mashonganyika.

Sam died on spot when their car crashed into a bridge along Harare-Bulawayo highway. He was driving home (Norton) with his friend and sound engineer Owen Chimhare who also died on the spot. Sam’s posthumous album Cheziya had proved popular with songs Mweya (Famba Zvakanaka) and Ishe rocking the airwaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment