Monday 19 March 2012

Peter Moyo is the man of the moment

Peter Moyo
Peter Moyo, without a doubt the man of the moment, takes his act to Cooksey Hall in Chinhoyi on Saturday, a day after performing at The Sunday Mail Bride of the Year Show. Currently riding high on a wave of popularity, Peter has surprised many, probably including himself, with the manner with which he has managed to fill in the shoes of his father, Tongai, who died of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma late last year.

Besides being wet behind the ears in the cut-throat music industry, Peter’s fledgling career was dealt a body blow at the beginning of this year when Energy Mutodi raided Utakataka Express and got away with Shiga Shiga and Spencer Khumbulani, Tongai Moyo’s most trusted lieutenants.

The cracks in the Utakataka outfit first emerged in Zvishavane and came out in full in Beitbridge at the end of January, but Peter has since countered the departure of his father’s trusted stage friends with spirited performances.

At the 21st February Movement music gala held at Gaza Primary School in Chipinge a fortnight ago, Peter defied all odds to put up probably the most polished act before the highly expectant 20 000-strong crowd.
And with each outing, the Young Igwe has been improving his act and this time Chinhoyi residents — and those from neighbouring settlements like Banket, Raffingora, Karoi,

Chegutu — have a chance to see the highly improved act by Peter. “This is our second time in Chinhoyi since my father passed away, but last time out we were rather raw. We did not have enough time to fine-tune our act so we urge all our fans to come see the new, improved act on Saturday at Cooksey Hall.

“A lot has changed in our line-up, but the most heartening thing is that our act has improved vastly. I promise that I will not be found wanting on Saturday.” What makes Peter’s act more exciting is that he has a large repository of songs to choose from, songs that were popularised by his father. 

That large, seemingly infinite bank of songs, has seen Peter usually running himself breathless on stage till the early hours of each outing. “Initially there were challenges that I faced when running long hours on stage, but this is something that I have since worked on and my voice no longer gives in. I am now up to any challenge and I can sing the whole night through,” said the Young Igwe.

He also took the opportunity to announce that he is working on some of his own songs which he will perform in Chinhoyi, one of his late father’s favourite hunting grounds. “I cannot live in my father’s shadow forever. 

There comes a time when I will need to be my own man and I am planning for that now. I will need my own songs in future, my own identity, so I am working on my new songs. On Saturday, I will perform some of these songs,” said Peter. (Sundaymail)

No comments:

Post a Comment