Wednesday 4 April 2012

Gwala to record with Tuku on next album

Oliver Mtukudzi
South African musician Freddy Gwala who is touring the country says he wants to collaborate with Oliver Mtukudzi, Soul Brothers and Ringo Madlingozi for his upcoming album. Gwala will today share the stage with Mtukudzi at Richwood Sports Club in Mabelreign in a show that will also feature rising musician Jah Prayzah. 

“I have already talked to Ringo and Soul Brothers and I will talk to Mtukudzi when we meet on Sunday,” said Gwala. “We have come a long way and know all the challenges in the music industry. We have to do something together to let the young generation know what we have been through and this collaboration would tell a lot about ourselves, our music and our experiences.” 

Gwala, who last shared the stage with Mtukudzi in the United Kingdom in 2008, described the Zimbabwean music legend as a humble man who is willing to work with others anytime. He attributed the slump in popularity of live bands in South Africa to the advent of computer beats and a wave of mix-tapes that have proved popular with the youths. 

Gwala refused the “spent force” tag arguing experience was his most valuable possession that would ensure he takes his music an extra mile. 

“You are wrong to suggest that I am a spent force. I have been in this industry for a long time and I have achieved a lot that you cannot take away from me. I am still competent and that is why I am here. I still hold a lot of shows in South Africa and the fact that I am touring Zimbabwe means I still have the strength to continue,” he said. Culled from Zimstandard

No comments:

Post a Comment