Monday 11 June 2012

50 Cent reconciles with Oprah Winfrey in candid TV interview after six-year 'feud'

He once criticised Oprah Winfrey in a very public fashion, saying 'Oprah's audience is my audience's parents so I could care less about Oprah or her show.' But 50 Cent put aside his differences with the and talk show titan last night during a candid T%V interview.

The 36-year-old hip-hop artist even told Oprah: 'This is a huge milestone for me. Just being in your presence and on the show. That's a huge accomplishment.'  


Making up: Oprah Winfrey shared an intimate chat with 50 Cent on Oprah's Next Chapter on the OWN network which aired last night

Making up: Oprah Winfrey shared an intimate chat with 50 Cent on Oprah's Next Chapter on the OWN network which aired last night. Oprah had visited 50 Cent, real name Curtis Jackson, at his grandparents' house in Queens, New York, where he was raised following his mother's death back in 1983.




In the candid chat, Oprah addressed the pair's feud, quizzing 50 Cent on while he had criticised the number of 'older white women' in the audience of Oprah's now defunct talk show, along with her criticism of rap music's misogynistic lyrics and use of the N word. 

He said: 'I would see moments when you would discuss your feelings on the culture and everything that was wrong with the culture was what was on my CD, and I was like, "Oh, she doesn't like me."
Getting along: The rapper and the talk show titan shared a cosy talk in the chat, which saw 50 Cent discuss his early life
Getting along: The rapper and the talk show titan shared a cosy talk in the chat, which saw 50 Cent discuss his early life

Hugging it out: Oprah and 50 Cent embraced at the beginning of the interview, where Oprah visited the star at his grandparents home
Hugging it out: Oprah and 50 Cent embraced at the beginning of the interview, where Oprah visited the star at his grandparents home 

'I was saying, "If I can't be your friend, at least let me be your enemy, so I co-exist."' Oprah responded by saying: 'That's interesting. I don't spend a lot of time looking at people who don't like me, but I did hear that you said something like I had white women in my audience that were as old as your grandmother. I felt that that was a pointed criticism.'

She then asked him: 'Did you say things about me to be provocative, or did you just not like me?' The rapper responded: 'I was saying it's a conservative audience - their kids are listening to it and they look for something that allows them to be a little rebellious - that's rap and roll.'
Agree to disagree: Oprah questioned the artist why he thought she didn't like him back in 2009
Agree to disagree: Oprah questioned the artist why he thought she didn't like him back in 2009

Purple passion: Oprah declared 50 Cent to be a 'gentle soul' after meeting him for the first time
Purple passion: Oprah declared 50 Cent to be a 'gentle soul' after meeting him for the first time

Oprah told the rapper that: 'If you're in television, you need black people and white people to watch you. 'I think it's so interesting that you thought that because I was against the use of the n-word, violence and singing about violence and misogynism, meant that I did not like you, because I did not know you.'

Oprah then quizzed 50 Cent over his use of the n-word, mentioning that she and rapper Jay-Z had 'agreed to disagree' over its use in hip hop music.  However, 50 Cent defended the use of the word in his songs, saying: 'When you're actually using it with malice in your heart, you can feel the difference.
Humble beginnings: The hit rapper showed Oprah his grandmother's home in the Queens area of New York
Humble beginnings: The hit rapper showed Oprah his grandmother's home in the Queens area of New York
Growing up: The 36-year-old rapper was raised by his grandparents after his mother was murdered in 1983 when he was eight-years-old
Growing up: The 36-year-old rapper was raised by his grandparents after his mother was murdered in 1983 when he was eight-years-old
Pretty in pink: 50 Cent regularly sleeps in this basement room at his grandparents' house
Pretty in pink: 50 Cent regularly sleeps in this basement room at his grandparents' house

'If it's being used by someone that you know isn't using it in a racial term, it doesn't impact the same. I just think you're identifying with how it originated and it should exist based on that (alone).' And Oprah wasn't about to let the interview end without asking the rapper about his decision to call his pet dog 'Oprah.'

She said: 'That was not a compliment,' adding: 'I heard you had a b**ch named Oprah!' A sheepish 50 Cent said: 'At the time, I was just looking at the situation and I saw I was developing negative feelings for someone who doesn't even know me - and I gave it to the dog.'
 
Family man: The rapper introduced Oprah to his grandparents who brought him up following the death of his mother, and in who's house he feels most at home
Family man: The rapper introduced Oprah to his grandparents who brought him up following the death of his mother when he was just eight-years-old
Lavish: 50 Cent owns Mike Tyson's former 53 room mansion in Connecticut
Lavish: 50 Cent owns Mike Tyson's former 53 room mansion in Connecticut, but feels most at home at his grandparents' house
In other revelations, 50 Cent declares he paints his grandmother's toenails as she is unable to reach, revealed he is not allowed to curse in her home, and showed Oprah around the pink bedroom he sleeps in when he visits. 

The rapper seemed particularly proud of his appearance on the show, later tweeting a photograph of him posing with the star, along with the caption: 'So today my grand mother said you on oprah now boy you made it :o) #SK'

Oprah also seemed to enjoy their chat, later posting on her Facebook and Twitter pages: 'In the car having just left Curtis Jackson aka 50 Cent. Gotta say, he was quite surprising. We talked for 2 hrs.'
Sheepish: The rapper looked a little uncomfortable when Oprah quizzed him on why he named his dog after her
Sheepish: The rapper looked a little uncomfortable when Oprah quizzed him on why he named his dog after her
Dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment