Sunday 10 June 2012

I abandoned law for Music - Tryson Chimbetu


Tryson Chimbetu
Tryson Chimbetu says he abandoned his dream of becoming a lawyer to pursue music. “ I was in high school doing arts with the intention of enrolling as a law student with the University of Zimbabwe,” he says adding that when his father, Naison passed away he knew that he had to carry on with his music legacy. But he said “the dream has, however, not collapsed, I’m still going to register for business law with Unisa.”


Tryson said it had been a huge challenge for him since taking over his father’s band. “Some of the band members are older than me and it was difficult in the first days to deal with them. Also, some of the instruments left by my father were now old and needed to be replaced. We have so far bought three-quarters and anytime from now we will be unveiling a new kit. The new set is crucial in this game for us to remain competitive.”

He also said he would always stay out of Chimbetu family squabbles. “ I’m and will always be out of the equation. I do not wish to go into conflict with anyone. My focus is on making the Marxist Brothers brand strong on the market. However, I feel there is need for communication within our family. United we stand.”

On reports that he stole some of Sulu Chimbetu’s band members tryson said : “I did not take band members from him. I waited till they resolved their issues. Some of them returned to him (Sulu), while I took some on board. It was just a case of me employing job-seekers, and I don’t think that is a problem.”

No comments:

Post a Comment