Saturday 14 July 2012

I spend $150 a month on my hair - Gospel Singer Joyce Simeti

Popular local gospel diva Joyce Simeti says she spends on average $150 a month on her unique hairstyle.

For five years Simeti, one of the established local gospel divas, has been carrying the same hairstyle which has become a trademark. She is easily recognised, even from afar, because of this hairstyle which seems to be unique in the country.

In an interview Simeti, who at first was dreadlocked, revealed the secret behind her hairstyle which she hardly knows its name, but rather called it carrot pommet and its sub-styles.
“It’s a long story how I fell in love with this hairstyle. It all began when I was pregnant, that is when I cut off the dreadlocks because I was feeling very hot. “When the hair grew and obviously after giving birth I met this hair dresser called Nomatter Sibanda whom I told I needed a unique hairstyle or something extraordinary.

“However, she came up with this hairstyle, but it was difficult for her to do. But with the passage of time she mastered it and now she has become the only hairdresser I know who is an expert as far as the hairstyle is concerned.“Some say the hairstyle is very heavy and it makes it difficult for one to sleep but that’s not it, I am comfortable with it.

“Others are being attracted to it and they ask me all sorts of questions. I like it very much when people ask me about it because that is one of my aims, to be known through my hairstyle.

“I believe very soon it will be known as ‘Joyce’s hairstyle or ‘carrot is synonymous with Joyce’ .“To me it’s a cheap hairstyle but it is very nice if one matches it with African attires. This is the reason I always put on African attires,” she said.

Simeti, also revealed that she budgets an average of $150 per month for the hairstyle only. This therefore means she spends an average of $1 800 on her hairstyle every year. “I fork out $35 each time I go to the salon and I usually renew it every week. This includes four packets of extensions and labour. But because of certain event that comes in the way I am forced to renew the hairstyle and this means I use about $150 per month.

“Moreover, I also need some beads to spice up the looks. Every event is accompanied by its African attire. I get my regalia from a Ghananian tailor by the name of Susan who sells them in Gunhill. Each attire costs between $80 and $100 depending on the type of material. I need at least four attires every month,” she said.

Besides being a gospel musician who gets much from live performances at private functions such as weddings, Simeti also sells African clothing materials. Newsday

No comments:

Post a Comment