Friday 13 July 2012

Peter Moyo finishes Dhewa's house in Kwekwe


Peter Moyo, the son of the late sungura maestro musician Tongai, is about to complete building his late father’s house in Kwekwe’s Mbizo suburb.

He is planning to throw a house warming party at the new family home next month. The project was started off by the late musician, but he could not complete it owing to poor health and financial constraints.

When he passed on in October last year, Peter known by his fans as “Young Igwe”,immediately took over the project and began mobilising funds to finish building the house.

“Although I had other things that needed my immediate attention such as paying off the debts that the old man accrued during his last days as he battled to contain his condition, I knew I had to finish the project first.

“It didn’t happen overnight, since I was often on the road for shows, I managed to stay on course, because my father would have wanted it that way. For me, it just wasn’t about completing the house, but I wanted to fulfil my father’s wishes of having a home of his own,” he said.

The diminutive crooner said he was now working on the final touches, something that will take him a few more weeks, before setting the date for the bash. “I have given myself a deadline on when it should be completed, which is just about three weeks or so from now. It will be ready by then,” he said.

Peter added that although he did not feel comfortable opening up about his private life, he said his late father’s fans needed to know the update following, the media onslaught that Tongai received about his personal life.

“I wouldn’t have wanted to talk about this because I feel it is rather personal, but I feel that people should now know that the half-built house, that once appeared in the paper, during my father’s illness is now complete.

“I am not bitter really over this. It happened a long time ago, I just need to set the record straight,” he said. Currently riding high on a wave of popularity, Peter has surprised many with the manner with which he has managed to fill in his father’s shoes.

He has managed to remain relevant in the cut-throat music industry despite being a minnow, who is still relying on Dhewa’s discography for live shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment