Tuesday 7 February 2012

Peter Moyo struggles to maintain big family

Peter Moyo
Since the death of his father sungura star Tongai Moyo, Peter has taken over the label of ‘Igwe’, a nickname popular with the late musician. As the young ‘Igwe’, Peter has surprised many people by holding the Utakataka band together although in recent weeks there has been reports of defections.

Apart from managing the 16-member Utakataka band, Peter has also to look after a big family, including those from the extended family. At 23, the aforementioned is quite a mammoth task for the young musician, but like a true ‘Igwe’, Peter has stood the ground and says so far he is coping.

While Peter’s passion was playing football, a thing he can do well, the death of his father ‘forced’ him to abandon the sport and forge a life in music. It has not been easy for Peter as he took over the band during the time his father was on the death bed, accumulating medical bills. A number of close friends and associates to Tongai advanced him money in the hope that when he recovered he could pay them back, but God had other ideas for the sungura giant.

He died suddenly and left the debts for Peter to settle. And since then the young ‘Igwe’ has battled to settle them and says is now in the green. 

VC: Are you ready to go into the studio to record your own music?
PM: Not yet ready for that as my voice is still far from perfect and sharp the way I want it to be. I hope to be in the studio around October. 
VC: So what are you working on at the moment?
PM: Utakataka is known for quality videos, so we are working on Toita Basa DVD which we hope will be on the shelves around June.
VC: Who composed songs on the forthcoming album?
PM: The late Tongai, my father composed all songs on the album with the exception of one track which I composed. We are still yet to name the album.
VC: How is it like managing a big musical band constituted of older people while you are still as young as you are?
PM: It is challenging, especially when they do not respect you, but you have to stand your ground as a leader.
VC: What is your comment pertaining the movement of senior band members from the Utakataka Express?
PM: Movement of band members is not only peculiar to Utakataka. Every band experiences this in one way or the other, but I assure Utakataka fans that the development will not affect the band at all. In Utakataka all key positions are held by at least two people, so if one goes the other guitarists will simply replace him. Nothing will change as the one who replaced the other will know well how to play our songs. 
It is like a soccer team, it is made up of the first 11 players and another batch of players will be sitting on bench waiting to replace the injured and players not performing up to the expectation of the coach. Dynamos are a giant football club in the country but imagine how many senior and good players had moved from the club?
VC: The late Tongai Moyo complained about the size of the family and you seem to have fitted well into his shoes, as a young man like you how do you cope with the family burden? 
PM: True, the family is too big as I have got to look after five extended families. As a young artiste I wish to invest but I am failing as we are surviving from hand to mouth. Currently I am struggling to complete the house in Kwekwe that my father was building.
VC: What is your relationship with Tongai’s widow, your stepmother? 
PM: Good.
VC: But rumours are saying you are neglecting her as you no longer remit cash from the concerts to her?
PM: As I said before, the family is too big and the cash we are getting from concerts is not much as people think. The money is not sufficient so I can only cater basics. She should know that from the day father died everything has changed. Besides the big family we are still paying back the money which Tongai owed to other individuals and organisation during his illness. I think I am doing my level best.
VC: Can you tell me about your love life, do you have a girlfriend or a wife?
PM: Not yet married and I do not have a girlfriend at the moment. A girlfriend at the moment will add stresses to my life, hence I decided to keep myself to myself. To be honest if I sent a love message to a lady ndinenge ndichitomunyepera( I will be fooling her) because at the moment I have no feelings for ladies.
VC: But rumours say you are crazily in love with the dancing queen Beverly Sibanda?
PM: I only know Bev as a dancer, at times we shared the stage but I am not in love with her. If people see me and Bev together like after the performance, they start to wage tongues.
VC: So do you regret being a public figure?
PM: About 70 percent of my time I will be regretting being a public figure. At times I wished if my father died as a successful businessman with money but not popularity. If you are popular people and the media will be after you, want to know every move you take in life. (Dailynews)

No comments:

Post a Comment