Sunday 11 March 2012

‘Tuku mentored me’

Charles and Namatayi Chipanga
After an apprenticeship and grooming that saw her perform with superstar musician Oliver Mtukudzi for seven years as a member of Black Spirits, Namatai Chipanga has finally broken off and turned solo. Namatai and her husband Charles Chipanga had over the years become permanent features in the Black Spirits line-up until last year when the duo decided to turn solo.

For all her effort, fame and talent, Namatai firmly believes that Mtukudzi is her mentor. “I joined the Black Spirits in 2003 up until last year and since then have achieved a lot with Oliver. “He taught me to stand on my own as an individual artist and I have the potential,” she said. The 28-year-old singer and conga player said the reason why she and her husband left the Black Spirits was because they wanted to grow.

“I believe it was time to grow and start our own thing. “We were not growing as individual artists and we decided it was high time we left and did our own thing,” said Namatai. She started music when still in primary school. “Interestingly we used to attend church with the Mtukudzi family.

“After completing my education I went for vocal training at St George’s College.” Namatai worked with Ernst Tanga Wekwa Sando between 2002 and 2003 before working on collaborations with Africa Revenge and Prudence Katomeni. She later joined the Blacks Spirits.

Commenting on how people perceived her as a Christian playing contemporary music, she seemed unmoved. “I used to sing gospel music when I was playing with Oliver, in church. “I also did some recordings which are not yet out. “I was in the praise and worship team during that time.

“People have their own ideas but I have no problems with that. “It is God that gave me this voice, so when I was still with Oliver I would come to church and sing in the praise and worship team. “It did not affect me because to me it was just a job,” she said. Although she has not had her own album out yet she featured on her husband’s album Prayer Expose (Namatai) with the song Gore Rangu.

She will start working on her album this month-end and expects it to come out before the end of the year. The couple helps each other and does everything together and they seem to be balancing their family and music roles. “I do everything with Charles. He is the one managing everything and will include his song on my album just like I did on his. 

He manages the band and all the logistics, so we are a team. “I also try to draw a line between being a wife and being a musician. “When I am at home I am a wife, when we are on stage we do business, we are professionals. “Home is home and work is work, we just play our roles accordingly,” she said.

Her biggest challenge has been of recording since it is expensive. “Going to the studio, doing rehearsals and paying the artistes is expensive. “It’s just the way it is — challenging, but at the end of the day you will make it,” said Namatai. The couple has held shows at the 7 Arts Theatre, in Swaziland and at weddings. Namatai and Charles had started working on Charles’ album in 2009. (Dailynews)

No comments:

Post a Comment