Tuesday 27 September 2011

Is Mafriq Spliting?

IN A DEVELOPMENT that might mark the beginning of the end for Mafriq; word making rounds has it that the talented urban grooves outfit has split. H-Metro is reliably informed that the group’s rapper and video producer Tunga T (real name Tungamirai Mavi) has gone on a solo gospel project and is way past ‘earthly things’. However, the group’s spokesperson Lovedale Makalanga simply known as Discord quickly poured cold water on the rumour. “Well, we did NOT split per se it’s just that we are all working on solo projects. “Tunga is indeed working on a gospel project and he is uncomfortable in performing in bars and we do understand him,” said Discord. 

Last week, the group that broke through with Ndomuudza Sei played at the Flashback Party hosted by Flash Gordon and the group was in ‘discord’, as ONE member was missing, and that was Tunga T. 
Tunga T concurred with Discord and said he is still part of Mafriq although he is temporarily working on a solo gospel project which he hopes to complete by year end. 

“I did not part ways with the group; I have just taken some time off as I am working on my gospel project. I have been busy of late and have not been able to spend time with the other group members hence my decision to take a break. It’s true that I am not comfortable in playing in bars anymore but I am still part of the group,” Tunga said. 

Has Tunga been saved? Mafriq is made up of Discord, Tunga T and lead vocalist Pauline Gundidza. The group derived its name from ‘My Africa’ and is known for their ethnic influenced sounds which include award-winning Ndomuudza Sei, Chizevezeve and Zuva. H-Metro

No comments:

Post a Comment