Sunday 16 October 2011

Tongai Moyo was a giant - Minister Munangagwa

Minister of Defence Emmerson Mnangagwa, a relative of Moyo and a neighbour with the musician in the Sherwood farming block, Kwekwe, described Dhewa as a giant who will be sadly missed. ‘It’s really a shock. A few days ago he looked so well that we all thought he had recovered. We are neighbours in Kwekwe and I do his (farming) planning whether in winter or summer.

“His death is a big loss not only to our community in the Sherwood block but to the nation and the music fraternity. My condolences. We have lost a giant and very talented young man,” said Mnangagwa. Dr Paul Chimedza, who headed the medical team treating Moyo, expressed his disappointment at the death of the artist.“I thought he would live. He had a chance of living. People really tried but God has his way. I am really shocked and disappointed,” said Chimedza from Gutu last night. Patron of the Zimbabwe Union of Musicians Webster Shamu was overwhelmed with the news and was not prepared to comment.

“Zvakaoma. Can I call you later? It’s difficult for me (to comment) at the moment. I will call you later,” said the Information Minister who was in Manicaland. Shamu led a serious campaign to pool the $10 000 required for the importation of the Rituximab drug from the United Kingdom.

Moyo appeared to have won the battle last week when he first rubbished reports that he had died. The drug was administered the following day. Last week the Daily News spent an hour with Moyo at St Anne’s hospital. A cheerful Moyo, who chatted animatedly while munching a meal of fresh buns and milk, said the drug had much better benefits than chemotherapy because it worked on destroying the cancer cells but left his body fit, while the latter attacked his body cells resulting in the loss of hair and appetite.

“Since last year, I have been working almost every weekend to raise $15 000 to buy this drug but I failed.
“Can you imagine that when I collapsed last week, it did not take time for the money to materialise thanks to Minister Shamu. As you can see, I have all my energy and even my appetite,” Dhewa chuckled. 

It turned out to be the last interview. Burial arrangements would be announced in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment