Wednesday 29 February 2012

Peter Moyo unshaken by challenges

Peter Moyo
The young “Igwe,” Peter Moyo continues to flourish amid losing four of his band members to Energy Mutodi. Moyo will tomorrow, showcase his band’s prowess at a concert slated for Harare’s City Sports Bar. Speaking to the Daily News yesterday, Moyo said Utakataka was already living a life without the four and anyone who had doubts over the capabilities of those who replaced them should visit one of his concerts.
“On Thursday we will perform at City Sports Bar and anyone can be witness to the rise of Dhewa. We have built a band that is already doing wonders. We have been performing to perfection ever since my father died last year and never missed a performance date,” said Moyo.

He said the defections, instead, have cemented his sound and image. “I am sure the departures had a reason because we are more coherent than before. Remember I am not Tongai, but his son, and I cannot be doing exactly as he used to. I will forge my own way, my own format and create my own stage work." “I am prepared to work with those who played with my father, but I will not be emotional about those who decide to leave. Things are actually tight as we speak and we are working hard to remain where we are.”

Moyo and Utakataka have continued to delight audiences throughout the country since the death of sungura giant, Tongai Moyo. Harare’s major nightclubs — Sports Diner, Jazz 105, and City Sports Bar have in the recent past hosted Moyo and Utakataka band recording maximum audience capacity. He also partnered super star musicians Alick Macheso and Oliver Mtukudzi for concerts at Pamuzinda and Chitungwiza’s Aquatic Centre.

“We have been out there entertaining audiences and receiving 100 percent support from fans. We have been everywhere — Bindura, Esigodini, Bulawayo, Mutare, Masvingo, Kadoma, Chegutu. The idea that we have been received well at all these places shows the magnitude of our prowess regardless of a few hitches that come along with this kind of work,” said Moyo.

Since he took over at Utakataka, Moyo has learnt a lot. “I used to see my father having problems with the media, the band members and never thought one day I could be facing the same challenges. I am lucky in that all that which used to happen during my father’s time is resurfacing today.” He said his father used to manage the band well, a thing he will continue to do. 

“If anything, I put the welfare of my band before anything else. My band has become my company, my workplace and I devote entirely all my energy working with the team.” Moyo, who is only 23years old said: “Age is just but a number. You have overseas musicians becoming stars at 17 years and they have managed to keep afloat. I am old enough to hold my own, to plan my future and to navigate the stormy industry."

“This is not an easy industry at all and already I have been shaken, but that is the experience. I will stand firm and shrug off the challenges that come along with my career.” City Sports Bar director Biggie Chinoperekwei said they have kept faith in Moyo and would give him all the support.

“We have been supporting Utakataka from when Tongai was still alive and it is something we will continue to do. We will continue to give Peter the space to showcase because in doing so we are helping him build a formidable band and sound." “Since the death of his father, Peter has fought against all odds and from the way I see it, he will continue to rise. He just needs to keep a cool head and be humble.”

Chinoperekwei said his joint invites those that bring the numbers to the club. “Those that bring audiences to the club, we always invite. “We have been inviting Peter here because every time he performs here, the numbers swell. He is a good business partner.” (DailyNews)

No comments:

Post a Comment