Friday 27 January 2012

Fungisai breaks barriers

Fungisai Zvakavapano Mashavave
Fungisai Zvakavapano-Mashavave has declared she will no longer be constrained by religious beliefs as she focuses on building her career. She was speaking in an interview with NewsDay in the run-up to the show dubbed “The First Gig of the Year” that takes place at City Sports Centre tonight.

“I am not intimidated by anyone,” said Zvakavapano-Mashavave. “I have just been deprived of exposure, but I have broken the barriers and people must know that I was born for the stage. “This time around I am expecting my fans to take me as an ordinary artist not just another gospel artist. “I am no longer Fungisai the stranger on stage that is governed by religious values and constraints.” She added her focus was now on career development.

“It is a new beginning in the sense that I have been focusing more on the ministry, but am now shifting the focus to my career development.” Zvakavapano-Mashavave said she has not had adequate exposure as other artists have, but given the time she can take anyone on. Tonight she will perform alongside Oliver Mtukudzi, Sulumani Chimbetu and Munya Mataruse.

In an interview Josh Hozheri of Jazz 105, organisers of the gig, said he wanted to give exposure to upcoming artists like Mataruse through such joint performances. “It is improper to thrive on artists that have made names already in the industry, but we (promoters) should rather take up the upcoming artists and expose them so that they can stand on their own at the end of the day,” said Hozheri. (Newsday)

No comments:

Post a Comment