Monday 16 January 2012

Yvonne off to collect a unique award

Princess of Africa off to receive a prestigious award
SOUTH African songbird Yvonne Chaka-Chaka jets out of the country later this month to receive a prestigious award from the World Economic Forum for her work in the field of malaria.Chaka-Chaka says the award will only challenge her to work even harder for the African continent.The Unicef goodwill ambassador against malaria will be flying to Davos in Switzerland on January 23 to accept a statuette.

Chaka-Chaka said she felt honoured to be recognised for her contributions to fighting malaria. "This means someone out there has been watching me travel all over Africa," she said. "I am joyful and humbled by this honour. I know many world stars have been recipients of this honour. "I am happy that I am the first African woman to win it."

Chaka-Chaka also said she had been touring the world to alert people to the dangers of malaria. "This award is given to people who are changing other people's lives through music and other activities. I have been able to do both. "Like the late Miriam Makeba, Dorothy Masuka and Abigail Kubheka, my music has changed many people's lives.

"When you do the right thing people are watching and they honour you." The travelled songstress said malaria was a serious issue. "I still want an Yvonne day where I will sit with African leaders and discuss malaria at length and map out a way forward to countering the problem of malaria. Talk about the eight millennium goals." Chaka-Chaka said that she will soon release her 23rd album. (Sowetanlive)

No comments:

Post a Comment